Higher Education Commission (HEC) is the highest educational authority in Pakistan. Not only does HEC regulate pedagogy and curricula taught in universities, it also handles the attestation of degrees/diplomas issued by recognized universities/institutions, both private and public. In order to apply for Fulbright Scholarship in the US, one needs to get his/her degree and transcripts attested from HEC.
Every year, when selected candidates are asked by the Fulbright Program to get their academic documents attested, candidates are confused about the degree attestation process via HEC.
Here you will get a smart overview of the planning required, the documents needed and all the necessary actions expected from your side by the HEC Office.
Pre Planning of Attestation
Before visiting the HEC office, applicants need to be prepared:
• As per the new attestation process, all applicants must create an account on the online portal of HEC: http://eportal.hec.gov.pk/das . Fill all educational and personal information, as required. Here is the link which will guide you step by step how to create an account: http://hec.gov.pk/english/services/students/Degree Attestation System/Documents/Procedure-Online-degree-Attestaion.pdf
(Note: Incomplete Information will lead to inconvenience and delays)
• Next, reserve a date which suits your schedule, in the city you prefer for the attestation process
• For Courier Degree Attestation Service, select the option in the online form. For further details visit http://hec.gov.pk/english/services/students/Degree Attestation System/Pages/AttestationThroughCourier.aspx
• All applicants should bring all original documents which include degrees, transcripts and certificates. Starting from Matriculation Certificates, bring all original academic documents, including the ones that you need to get attested
Fee for Attestation
• HEC charges PKR 800 for attestation of original documents.
• An additional PKR 500 is charged for attestation of each photocopy.
HEC Offices Location
HEC offices are located in Islamabad and Lahore.
Islamabad: HEC office is located in Sector H-9 in Islamabad. Official timings are from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. The office issues a total of 240 tokens daily, which means that only 240 candidates get to enter the office every day. Therefore, plan your visit and timings accordingly.
Lahore: HEC Office is located in Gulberg III, behind Pizza Hut on M.M. Alam Road. Official timings are from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. The office issues a total of 50 tokens daily, meaning only 50 candidates get to enter the office every day. Therefore, plan your visit and timings accordingly
Required Documents for Attestation
- Original Certificate of Matriculation.
For O-Levels, equivalence is required from IBCC. Applicants have to submit the equivalence certificate (received from IBCC) along with original O-Level Certificates.
- Original Certificate of Intermediate.
For A-Levels equivalence is required from IBCC. Applicants have to submit the equivalence certificate (received from IBCC) along with original O-Level Certificates.
- Original University Degree (Bachelors, Masters, MPhil, MS)
- Original University Transcript (if any)
- Copy of Computerized National Identity Card (CNIC)
(Note: Don’t forget to carry your original CNIC when you visit the HEC Office)
- A copy of all documents listed above
Important Note: All the documents should have the same Date of birth, Name and Father’s Name. The information should be matching on your degree and transcripts and all other documents. Moreover, this should also match with the information on your CNIC.
HEC Attestation Process is a rather lengthy one. Applicants need to be well prepared before they plan to visit the office. Or if the courier option suits the applicants, they should choose that. Don’t let poor planning make the whole process tiring or, worse, unsuccessful!